Monday 6 September 2010

Yvonne and Craig's wedding, Minto Hotel

Well I was back at the Minto Hotel in Edinburgh for the second time this year for the wedding of Yvonne and Craig. You’ll recall I was here back in March for Fiona and Keith’s wedding. Please note this was a different Fiona and Keith to the Fiona and Keith I blogged about at the beginning of August who were married at Melville Castle. Yes, I know, having two Fiona and Keith’s could easily get confusing, lol. However, both Fiona and Keith’s weddings were such great fun I would love to have a third so I tell you what I’ll do - if you are a Fiona and Keith shortly to be requiring an awesome Edinburgh wedding photographer specializing in Fiona and Keith’s I’ll give you a £150 discount off your wedding photography package if you book me to photograph your wedding! Now that’s a pretty cool offer isn’t it? lol Anyway, getting back to Yvonne and Craig.

The Minto Hotel sits in the heart of Edinburgh in Minto Street (wow, another amazing coincidence!) not too far from my home (Yay!). When Fiona and Keith came here in March they came for their reception having been married in a nearby church, but for Yvonne and Craig the whole event was to be held at the Minto itself, and if the weather held up we’d have an outdoor ceremony. I was booked for 6 hours photography, which is one of my most popular wedding photography attendances, which would cover the ceremony and into the evening reception up until the first dance. Yvonne was getting ready at the Hotel but we’d arranged to do a little cheating and sneak her out to Craig’s wedding car for a couple of photos with her father before going through for the ceremony.

The weather did indeed hold good and everything was set up in the private Minto Hotel rear garden. I took Craig and his bestman out to the main entrance and front garden for their pre-wedding pictures and shortly thereafter they were taken through with all the wedding guests and seated. This allowed Yvonne and her father to come out for the photographs with the wedding car. I also did a couple with all the bridesmaids and flower girl too. And then…well regular blog readers know the routine by now, lol…everything’s photojournalism photography from here on until the formal group photographs.

At any wedding the bride walking down the aisle with her father is an important and lovely image to capture. However, as this happens there is also an another shot that can be equally as nice, and also complement the bridal photograph perfectly, but is seldom captured by many wedding photographers. The image I’m talking about is the groom looking back up the aisle and seeing his bride for the first time. You can see how this is an extremely difficult shot to get as both incidents are happening simultaneously. But photojournalism photography is all about telling the story of the day and these two pictures are not only a complementary set but also capture an unrepeatable split second moment of time that is of equivalent importance to both the bride and groom. The way I do this is to position myself about three quarters way down the aisle in a spot where I can watch the bride through the zoom lens of the camera with my right eye and at the same time observe the groom with my left. With experience I’ve managed to hone the timing so I can swivel between the two of them, zooming in and out, and shoot both pictures. I am often asked when photographing weddings why I work with two camera’s. Well the answer is that both camera’s have a different lens. One is a wide angle lens and the other is a mid range zoom lens (or I will switch this for a long range zoom depending on the size of the venue) which also allows me to work swiftly and smoothly yet at the same time unobtrusively.

The benefits of a two camera set up can be seen here by way of example. The longer zoom lens was used to shoot Yvonne coming down the aisle with her father and also Craig getting his first look at his bride as she does so. I then very quickly stepped back, switching camera’s for the wide angle lens which enabled me to photograph the traditional hand over of the bride from father to groom. Then as we go through the ceremony I continually switch between the two camera’s depending on what is happening at any given time. You can see in the second image posted how the wide angle lens has allowed me to include some of the faces of the guests behind Craig as a funny moment is enjoyed during the ceremony and also in the third photograph I zoom in on Yvonne but also include the faces of her father and bridesmaid which also reflect the happiness of another enjoyable moment.

You can also see that the weather did indeed hold good for the entire day and a lovely, fun filled wedding was enjoyed by all. I don’t think Yvonne stopped smiling all day! And as you can see from one of the group shots neither did anyone else! In fact, it was such a fantastic wedding day and Yvonne and Craig such an enjoyable couple to photograph I wouldn’t mind having a second Yvonne and Craig. So, I tell you what, here’s what I’ll do…If you are a couple called Yvonne and Craig looking for a wedding photographer in Edinburgh I’ll give you a £150 discount off your wedding photography package if you book me to photograph your wedding! Now that’s a pretty cool offer isn’t it? Yikes! I’ll probably now find I get about twenty Fiona and Keith’s and Yvonne and Craig’s all phoning me! lol

0 comments:

Post a Comment